Protect YourselfBe wary of credit counseling organizations that:
- charge high up-front or monthly fees for enrolling in credit counseling or a DMP.
- pressure you to make "voluntary contributions," another name for fees.
Advertiser Links for Protect Yourself[what's this?]
- won' t send you free information about the services they provide without requiring you to provide personal financial information, such as credit card account numbers, and balances.
- try to enroll you in a DMP without spending time reviewing your financial situation.
- offer to enroll you in a DMP without teaching you budgeting and money management skills.
- demand that you make payments into a DMP before your creditors have accepted you into the program.